Re: flexible looper in small package

In this case, "feedback" refers to the level of the already-recorded
loop relative to the level of the material being overdubbed.  Pedal
looping devices tend to have this set to fixed, very high level, such
as 90%, so your loop is always almost as loud as your input signal.
As a result, the loop just gets more and more dense until you turn it
off.  I think the Boomerang (with the software upgrade) is the only
pedal looper that allows some flexibility in the feedback level.

If you were to put the looper into overdub mode and not play anything,
overdubbing silence, it would take twenty or thirty repetitions of the
loop for it to fade out with the feedback level set to 90%.  Another
useful feature that most (if not all) pedal loopers lack is the
ability to have the loop fade out without going into overdub, which
would allow you to fade the loop while playing over it without
recording any new information into the loop.  If you're practicing
soloing over the chord progression to "Hotel California" this isn't
much of a concern, if you're performing in public then it's a really
useful feature.

The more advanced looping devices allow you to set the feedback level
to whatever you want, anything from 0% (only one repeat) to almost
100% (nothing gets faded, unit soon overloads and distorts), often
using a CV pedal so you do it in a hands-free manner while you're
playing.  This allows you to gradually transition the loop to a new
loop in a non-abrupt manner, or to "thin out" the loop, allowing
earlier layers to fade out.

TravisH