Re: Defining "pro"

i'll chime in briefly on what "pro" means to me in terms of gear. this
issue has been sharpened recently by apple's purchase of eMagic's Logic
software.

for gear to be pro means a few things. if we leave this to audio
hardware devices, i'll take for granted a level of usability that
includes  reasonable noise floor, etc.

the two most important factors ( as someone who has been lucky enough
to make a decent living as a recording artist/ performer) is that
1) it is roadworthy. that is to say that i can put it in a road case
and take it across the ocean and when i power it on, it works.
2) that it has real live customer support. (this is where apple is
dropping the ball with logic.. i could go on and on, but i won't...)

sadly, two of my favorite pieces of gear failed in both areas. the EDP
and the Repeater. i love them both dearly, but both have failed the
test of reliability and customer support. once, the EDP refused to work
at a festival in holland in front of 10,000 people. big drag...

i still use the edp, but only with a backup. and only when i can live
without it.

has anyone looked into "bulletproofing" one of these things? making it
really solid?

just curious.

ric hordinski