Re: The End of Timeless Instruments? (Craig Anderton editorial)

I find Anderton's article interesting in that it made me think about
my own patterns. VSTs are about perfect for me because I'm really
whimsical about electronics -- nothing lasts too long -- but
reasonably loyal to strings. Keep the Tele and trade the Lexicon.
With a VST host, whenever I'm bored I can change everything out for
new, free or nearly free, stuff. (Although I'll probably pony up for
a commercial delay plug...) I doubt that I'll get particularly
devoted to anything enough to worry about 2030. The main downside for
me is that the resale value of the Receptor (or a laptop) will be
pretty much nil after a year or two, whereas I've never really lost
money on rack gear or pedals (since I rarely buy new). But I have
rationalized this as follows: for a couple-three hundred dollars a
year (as my VST player degrades) I get pretty much infinite plugins
to goof around with. Most of the "fun" plugins aren't so deep that
you need to devote a lot of time to them anyway.

Although, in the same breath I will admit I was looking hard at the
Eclipse. I don't know if that's the sort of "instrument" you spend
years and years with, or whether it just baits you into saving for an
H8000. Maybe when my day job improves!