Re: EDP Settings for Using Subsitute and Quantize by 8th Notes

On Oct 28, 2005, at 22:17, Kris Hartung wrote:

> I'm having some difficulty getting this trick to work. Rick got me
> started on this a while back, but I am just now getting around to
> doing it with my EDPs and Behringer controller.  I set my quantize
> to 8th notes, but I need to know what Switches and Timing parameter
> settings to use to get the following to work right: Press Record,
> play a few measures of 8th note melody work, press record again to
> play back, start playing some longer duration notes and hit the
> Substitute button a bunch of times in a row while you're
> playing...the result is an interesting rhythmic effect with those
> little 8th note slices of material popping in and out, all
> quantized to 8th notes. The problem is that the way I have my
> Switches and Timing parameters set now, when I try this, the
> subtituted notes pop in but then after the first cycle of looping,
> everything stops...no sound. I'm guessing that I need to change one
> of the first four settings (along the EDP conrol panel or buttons)
> under Switches and Timing, such as Record Mode, Overdub Mode, Round
> Mode, Loop/Delay, etc. Any recommendations on what these should be
> set at?

I checked my EDP settings used for this guitar improvisation: http://
www.looproom.com/audio/edp_strat_01.mp3
It draws on the looping technique you describe but also a lot of
HalfSpeed tapping as well a some Reverse. And I was jumping between a
bunch of EDP programs with 8th/cycle settings varying from 8 to 128.

Rec Mode = SUS
Overcub = SUS
INsert Mode = Sub
Quantize = 8th
Sync = In (to keep the tempo when in HalfSpeed)

the Substitute Insert function I found working best was the normal
MIDI note 5 (if no off-set used).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)