Re: Looperlative - Max Time?

On 28 jan 2006, at 13.00, mrweasel wrote:

> Coming from the Repeater world and being used to storing many loops
> onto
> various CF cards (I have over 512mb of memory in total),
> This comes in very handy when I play a gig for instance, or when I
> tour
> without having a computer around to transfer the newly created loops.
> Memory can fill up very fast when you base your whole gig on
> looping with a
> few tracks (which then you don't want to delete until you're back to a
> computer for transfer).

Given that (above) use of looping devices, as recording and storing
devices, it's understandable that one may find 128mb a bit short.
Personally I don't save loops though end then memory is not an issue
for me. Almost not, I have to correct myself, because the Repeater's
8 mb (RAM, instantly accessible) quite often did set a limit for my
playing (CF cards too slow for playing with i.e. changing loops in
real-time). But I've never had a problem with the 16 mb in the EDP,
probably because the smart way it does handle memory shortage (the
real fun begins when you have maxed out the RAM and the device starts
acting unpredictably).

However...
On the computers I use for looping I keep one or two GB ram which has
lately led me into adopting different looping styles. Especially on
Mobius I have sometimes actually been using all eight tracks full of
loops - in my case usually five loops per track - to mute/unmute
tracks and quick-jump between loops while playing complementary live
stuff on top. It's a also a great freedom being able to take off into
a three minutes loop, on a new track, over a bunch of shorter loops
that keep it cooking on two or three tracks. This was my first vision
of how I would be able to use LP1, but given those 128 mb I may have
to rework that vision a bit ;-)  Or at least rehearse thoroughly with
many mega long loops to see what happens when the memory limit is
reached, before doing that at a concert. As said; on the EDP the
device comes to new life thanks to memory shortage, so who knows what
wonders will happen when the Looperlative transcends that limit?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)