RE: AW: Roland VG8

--- Tony Douglas <TonyIsYourPal@netscape.net> wrote:

 So I'll
> look into all sorts of devices, from stomp boxes to
> rack mounts to guitar synths to the VG8 to marry up
> playing the instrument I like with the sounds I want
> to hear. Quite simple, really.

I think what we're trying to say is that we've found
the compromises you make with MIDI guitars and synth
guitars aren't worth it... to us.  I'm not saying the
"keyboard" is THE electronic instrument interface...
it just happens to be easily obtainable at an
inexpensive price.  The thing about MIDI/Synth guitars
that bothered me the most was when you tried to do
something like create a drone chord while playing
notes over it.  Not easily done when those strings
stop vibrating and you get a really glitchy end of
notes in your chord.  Also, I wanted it to really
nicely track things like bends and hammer-ons and I
seemed to be able to get it right about 50% of the
time if I played it really cleanly.  Anyway, I could
go on but the deal is I was never satisfied... but I
wanted those synth sounds.  (BTW, I'm all for the
mutilation of a guitar sound to become something
different, I just don't like traditional Synth/MIDI
guitar setups.  Truth is I never tried a VG8 but it
looks cool)

> Continuing ...
>
> ... Consider how many variables a
> violinist or saxophonist can manipulate at the same
> time (and in real time) compared to a pianist, for
> example.)

I think that's totally unfair to make these
comparisons.  First of all, we're not talking about a
piano.  Second... while I agree that many acoustic
instruments have a TON of subtile "variables" that can
be manipulated in real time... a modern synth doesn't?
 I've got a few that are just teaming with knobs
begging to be twisted... uh with the free hand I have
because I'm not trying to pluck a string while holding
it down at a fret.  My novation controller has so many
knobs and buttons it's sick, plus it has a x/y touch
pad and aftertouch.  It's keys feel better than any
cheap m-audio board and it really is an instrument...
one I wish I was better at, but that's another thread.

Mark