RE: Hardware Drum Looper Recommedations

 >> Korg ES-1 would be one of my top choices  [snip] accent applied to all beats, etc.:. Does ES-1 have the same limitations?

Also, I wasn't sure about its lower sampling rate (32KHz). . <<

I never had an issue with it's audio fidelity. to be honest, you can get away with a lower sample rate &/or bit-depth on individual instruments so long as the instruments in question are not too harmonically complex.... but I had forgotten about the velocity thing with the es-1.

it's set globally by the accent level for the purposes of playback by the local keys or the sequencer. but if you play the same sounds with an external keyboard or pad(s) it responds "properly" to vvv.
I'm not sure what happens if you record external midi data into it's sequencer, & I'd have to go & try this at home, as they say, because korg's UK site only has the manual for the mk2 version (mine are both mk1) & it is not clear on this particular topic. there isn't even an entry for "velocity" in the manual. I suspect, since there's a dedicated sequencer track for "accent", that it doesn't even attempt to record velocity on a per-instrument basis, but as I say, I'd have to try it to confirm this.

but you could get an alesis HR16 for next to nothing these days, & attach it to a sampler at a later date if/when custom sounds become a bigger issue for you. I recall many hours spent banging away at it's 8-level pads..... this always struck me as being 6 more levels of loud/quiet than my drumming acquaintances could manage..... :-)
it stays in record as it loops around, & it's easy to spot-erase things as they go past..... & you can tune the drums. I remember being disappointed that the SR16 came with presets & had ditched a lot of the stuff that made the HR16 state-of-the-art when it came out in late 1988.

duncan.