Re: Lap Steel - Frisell & Leisz - Michael Manring

Ariel,

Most (maybe all?) of the bass heard on Michael Hedges recordings was
played by Michael Manring.  I got the opportunity to see the two of
them many moons ago and I was thoroughly stunned.  Of course, Hedges
was a god, but I had never heard of Manring before and I was
impressed.  One of his solo bass pieces was played on a 6 (or 8?)
string set up with drop tuners on all strings on both the head & the
bridge.  The whole song was flipping tuners.  Technically interesting,
but beautiful too.

Makes me want to pull out some of my old Hedges discs. :)

Todd