Re: Looperlative 1st report

At 3:46 PM -0700 5/10/06, Bob Amstadt wrote:
>--On Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:16 PM -0500 mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
>
>>Whereas most people, I think, are interested in slaving the Looperlative
>>to MIDI clock, I'm interested in the LP-1's ability to act as a MIDI sync
>>*master*.
>
>That will happen, I simply didn't know how people wanted that to
>work. Your description is fairly complete and quite easy to
>implement.  So, I will probably use it as the model that I will
>start with.  I suspect that other people might prefer to tap a tempo
>and use that as a basis for recording.

Gods, I love this box!  Bob, you rock!!!!  ;)

I was thinking about this a little more this afternoon, and was
wondering about a tweak to my original post that would, I think, make
things more simple for you -- programming-wise -- and more flexible
in use.

I had mentioned entering a number of bars and a time signature for
the MIDI sync.  This is, obviously, necessary for calculation of the
MIDI Clock tempo.  What if, instead, you simply entered a number of
"beats".  Four measures of 4/4 would be 16 beats; likewise for eight
measures of 2/4.  Four measures of 3/4 would be 12 beats, but you get
the picture: pretty elementary.  This would fit in more cohesively
with tap tempo, too.

Not only would this be simpler and more flexible to implement but
(and you know I always start to go "farther" with these things) you
could get some really cool effects if the Clock would recalculate the
tempo when you enter new values -- the synced gear would follow the
new tempo, while the recorded loops remain at the same length/tempo
at which they were originally recorded (more polyrhythms!).  Also,
there's the possibility for some really interesting tweaks involving
how recorded tracks may or may not lock to the new value (re-trigger
loop at boundary?).

Okay, I'm off in Gear-LaLa-Land again.  But I, like so many others,
really appreciate the time and flexibility you're putting into your
product, Bob.  Thanks again!!!  :)

        --m.
--
_______
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike..."