Re: best laptop on the planet for music and video?

I'm assuming you mean PC, because in the mac world, the macbook pro is
pretty much the beast to get, right?

For PCs, you can always spend countless hours comparing specs and reading
user reviews loaded with generalizations and slams against manufactures,
or
you can just look for the top line consumer review metrics, from multiple
sources of course, and then sort them out yourself based on your needs.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/laptops/  shows Dell Inspiron
XPS M1710 as the top rated. Macbook pro is down at #6.

Although Consumer Reports shows the following:

Apple Macbook Pro 15"
Sony VAIO VGN-FE790
Dell Inspiron E1505

PC World has some interesting data and tests:
http://www.pcworld.com/ic/laptops/#

Top rated power notebook: HP Pavilion HDX
Top rated All Purpose notebook: HP Pavilion dv6500t
Top rated ultra portable notebook: Dell XPS M1210

Then there is my advise...for PCs....stay away from any consumer based
notebook. Buy a business class or commerical class notebook. There is a
reason why when you walk into the floor of a fortune 100 company, you
don't
see notebooks that are on display at BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. Manufucatures
make about $15 on those notebooks. They are virtutally disposable and
designed to reel in sales on consumables and accessories. Big businesses
buy
business class notebooks that are more robust, reliable, and designed to
address their corporate performance and security requirements. Buy a
business class notebook directly from the manufacuture...such as Lenovo,
HP,
etc. They are more expensive, but you pay for what you get. I spent $3600
on
my Lenovo ThinkPad T60p...it is classified as a business class notebook
workstation...you can use it as server. That price included a fully loaded
support plan. If I have a hardware problem, a technician will actually
come
to my home and perform onsite repair, like that major companies do.

Now, of course, the OCDs on this list will answer your question with
"Well,
it depends on your needs and what you want to do" and send you down
numerous
rat holes and technical analyses that will give you headache and
complicate
your decision tree, which is probably all valid...but we are talking about
laptops here not $6000 custom guitars, and there is a lot of
standardization
across platforms now, such that the major differentiation you get now is
between the consumer based models and the business class models, where you
will actually be able to observe a different in performance and
reliability.
But if you end up buying a consumer based notebook....just pick one of the
top rated boxes, get the one with the fastest duo core processor, the
fastest harddrive, and with the most memory they offer (I recommend 2gig).
And make sure it has the IO you need...be sure it has firewire and ample
USB
ports.  Add a firewire audio interface and away you go.

Kris

Kris