Setting up Good Monitoring for Live Rhythm Section -- Ideas on Adrian Belew's Rig?

Esteemed Loopers:

I've asked questions before on the listserv regarding live looping with
other musicians, and have pretty much decided the best way is to assure
the drummer and the bassist (and the guitarist/looper) clearly hear the
loop track. Adrian Belew apparently ascribes to the same methodology
according to the June issue of Guitar Player:

"What tips can you offer for integrating looping into live performance
with other musicians?"
"First of all, you have to have very good timing, because if you make a
loop that’s the least bit off, you’ll have to erase it and record
another one. The next thing is monitoring. You have to have a way to
separate it out so that your bassist and drummer can hear as much of the
loop as they want. We just began experimenting with the Bose L1
system—which is an amazing technology—and if that doesn’t work out,
we may go to in-ear monitors."

Okay, do any of you know how you "separate it out," as Mr. Belew describes
it? I have a Gibson Echoplex. The EDP has one output. So, all I can
imagine is having an A/B box after the EDP, so that looped signal goes to
the monitors but not the stuff you play over the loops. But that's a lot
of tap dancing (i.e., complete the loop, hit the A/B box before playing
over it or overdubbing, remember to switch the A/B back before your next
loop....). Any thoughts would be appreciated.