Re: DOES YOUR TOURING RIG DIFFER FROM YOUR HOME RIG?

My "home rig" is a hardware-based electronic music studio -- much too
big and heavy to transport.  Also, I have equipment that isn't needed
on the road.

On stage I only have my laptop, an RME800 interface, and my theremin.
I can have this setup in 16 minutes (yep, I've timed it to the
minute).  I think I can knock some time off of the setup by
re-organizing my pitch-preview amp and cables (these cables are thin
and tend to tangle easily).  In most cases, setup time (rather than
size and weight) is the main constraint.

... the rest of this email are some ramblings...

I prefer to play through my own PA (5 SRM450s and 2 SWA1501s) however
that is not always possible.  The downside to using my own PA is the
transport difficulty (won't fit into my car so I have to borrow my
parents' van).  Surprizingly, to setup my PA only adds about 15
minutes to the total setup time.  I've had good luck when playing
through provided systems, though.  The sound techs that I've worked
with have all been helpful and that makes a big difference.

I just returned from the electro-music festival (this year held in
Kingsport, TN).  I used my own system (and everyone else used it
too!).  I was the only one who used it in a surround configuration.  I
discovered that when the rear speakers are relatively distant, that I
can't hear them at all from the stage!  I managed to get through the
set but was a bit stressful.  Today I ordered a SRM350 (on sale at MF)
to use as a wedge monitor on stage.

My laptop-based looping is all automated/composed.  Last Friday I
participated in a collaboration and used my RC50 for on-the-fly
looping.  As such, I was able to create drones and pads with the
theremin -- and left the melodic playing to the other musicians: one
on acoustic bass, the other on wooden ("primative") flutes.  The
looping enabled me to use the theremin: a melodic, monophonic
instrument -- as a chordal accompianment instrument.

-- Kevin