Re: DOES YOUR TOURING RIG DIFFER FROM YOUR HOME RIG?

Howdy Rick,

Well, actually... Hmmmm.

I haven't really 'toured' per se in eons, and when I used to, it was in a
non-looping context (apart from layered delays, of course). Our philosophy
(band, sound AND lighting guys) was always "keep it simple and bring a
spare of anything important". So we'd each have two amps, two instruments
(as identical as possible) etc. Except for the drummer; he only had one
drumkit. But he did use two sticks. It was all pretty similar from the
rehearsal room to the stage, and we never flew; the gear either went in
our bus with all of us or by truck with some of us arriving by car from
different directions.

As far as LOOPING gigs, it's always a different rig, except for the rare
times when I do a few consecutive shows out of town, in which case it's
basically the same rig for the trip.

My very first ages-ago looping gigs were Eno-influenced two open reel
things around the same time Fripp was letting the power fall in
barbershops and so forth; those were never really very far from home,
though.

To answer your question about the rig in the pix: it's pretty simple, the
pedalboard on the left is just basic guitar tone stuff. Passive 4x mixer
for extra inputs > eq > overdrive > volume pedal > whah pedal (which I
ripped out of the board in a [mostly silent, hopefully] fit of pique five
minutes before the Nave show) > delay (pre-looper) > reverb (pre-looper) >
chorus > tuner (not necessarily in that order) with two outs, one to Ch. 1
of the rack mixer (more on that later) and the other to:

Pedalboard 2 (loop central): Input from pedalboard 1 goes into a 4 channel
distribution amp (right now a headphone amp from that ubiquitous cheap
German company, ie. the B word, which works OK but could be better). From
the distribution amp I run four lines, one each to a DL4, an RC-20, a
Headrush and one up to the EchoPro in the rack (also more later). Each of
the loopers then goes to its own mixer channel.

In the [4 space] rack: a Korg keyboard mixer, a Korg SDD-1000 delay (in
the aux, post-looper), an EchoPro and a reverb (global, post-ever'thang).
I also have a 6-space rack that's not really any bigger than the deep 4
space that I'm in the process of switching over to, which adds 5 separate
paths of mono processing (one for the direct channel 1 signal and one for
each of the 4 loopers) with a Lexicon MX200, a Boss RPS-10 and a Fostex
DE-1.

>From the rack, it goes to either two amps (different amps/sizes of amps
>depending if it's an electric or acoustic gig) or for bigger shows, the
>direct signal goes to an amp for monitoring/feedback pre-mixer and the
>post signal to a small stereo PA setup. (Different size power amps and
>speakers to be mixed and matched depending on the size of the venue and
>vehicle.)

Miscellany from the pix: a strat and a 335 (this varies on whim), the
iBook is only running M-Tron, no looping software in there. There's a
stand holding a tray fulla capos, slides, microcassette players and
suchlike toys, and hanging under the stand is a gong played with a padded
kick drum beater. Sometimes I use a 2 tiered keyboard stand to add an
organ to the mellotron... The rack goes at about a 45 degree angle on an
amp stand putting the controls right up towards yo' face, and is secured
with a nylon strap; always buckle up.

That's about it... It sets up pretty quickly since all the wiring within
the rack and within each pedalboard stays intact, and I've built little
patch bays on the boards and at the back of the rack to prevent having to
lie on the floor with a flashlight in my mouth looking for the proper
jacks on the rack units themselves. When I'm REALLY organized, it's hooked
up with a color-coded snake, but I didn't get that far before the Nave
show.

The home and/or recording rig is: *whatever* gets hooked up, usually more
bizarre than we have time, space or inclination to get into here.

best,

-t-

http://www.myspace.com/nimbletunes
http://cdbaby.com/all/timnelson