Re: Audio quality issues :(

Thanks for all the help RP!

Yes, I am using the (non-main) line out and returning on the one line in pair. I keep the kp3 input vol such that it stays at "green" peak (which it says is fine and shouldn't have distortion).  I use the software input boost on the firebox to +12 dB the kp3 input because it's pretty weak.

When testing with headphones, it seemed to me that the kp3>comp connection was fine, as I got the same mediocre audio from the kp3 headphones port as back through the comp.

I currently don't have a hardware mixer, but can look into getting one in the future if necessary.

I'm not sure how to set the line out level, only the line in. Should I just reduce the vol output from ableton? (it's always below the distortion threshold now).

Afaik everything's getting full signal, but I dont know that much so perhaps I'm wrong.

I have the routing configured so one track goes out to the kp (output 3/4) and a separate one gets the returned signal (in 3/4).

As far as cables, I just swapped my old ones for belkin pureAV RCA audio cables since I heard those are high quality. I'm using a generic silver-plated RCA -> 1/4th" adapter from radioshack to connect them to the firebox.

For my testing I have just been playing a song through live and comparing, without having any effects activated.

Also, at one point I sent a signal to the kp3 and had the input volume too high and the peak light went bright red before I caught it 15 secs later. Don't know if that could have damaged the inputs or if there's a way to check.

If any of that looks potentially troublesome, feel free to let me know.

Again, thanks a lot for all your help!

-Nick