Re: 10,000 hours

Thanks Rick,

That's really cool. Obviously, he's not old enough for his 10,000
hours of practice!

Since I'm coming from the electronic music side of things, I've always
thought that practice was less important, and an electronic music
composer could "think" his way through composing a great piece,
without the years of training that a conventional composer might need
to become familiar with with instruments he's composing for. But, I'm
still stuck for examples.

Tod Dockstader is pretty much it. Here's a guy who studied film and
painting in college, and tangentially got involved in sound
production. As far as I know, he had no conventional music training,
yet composed several stellar pieces of electronic music and music
concrete of lasting importance, and them pretty much disappeared for
many years.

--
Art Simon
simart@gmail.com