Re: OT: how to get ambient sound in IEM?

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
. I then totally favor acoustic monitoring on stage, using a
really small guitar amp like a dual ten element Gallien-Keuger,

I second this approach...for years my band Cranes were feeding everything into masses of DI boxes, and not using amps at all, the sound would be generated using onstage monitors, but the mixing guy... This worked when we could a) play in big places, where the sound from pone monitor could be effectively be set to how YOU wanted it, and no interfer with other peoples mixes, and b) when we took out own PA on the road, cos the mix roughly stayed the same every night... But then you get to a small club, and it all goes wrong. then you HAVE TO HAVE your own "place" on the stage, where you can hear yourself, and as Per calls it, "mis yourself" by moving around.

Everything became much easier when we went "old skool" and all got amps.. Oh.. and got an electronic kit.
Drum kits always fuck up the sound in a small club especially if you have a singer that whispers...

<loop-start>
Mic is turned up loud to hear her (feedback problems) she steps out of the way and it points where? Straight at the kit... kit gets loud, drum sound sounds bad, drums get turned up in the mix, band gets turned up in the mix to compensate, mic becomes too quiet... singer cant be heard... what to do? Turn up the mic... um..
</loop-end>.

--
www.markfrancombe.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094