From: "Stephen Goodman" <spgoodman@earthlight.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:43:17
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Subject: Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition
for 12th grade students...

This discussion is yet another reason why I love this list, and the
interplay with the creative, innovative folks on it.  I'm self-taught, and
in order to be able to do sight-reading/playing I'd have to Do Nothing But
for a long slog, but otherwise feel perfectly okay just playing - and
having
a perspective not bound by Knowing What I Can't Do.  Kudos for this post
and
especially the Guston quote, but it helps to have Imagination too!

From: scott hansen
>i have been reading some of these, and they are good suggestions...
some of this reminds me of why i don't miss teaching (college level art)
any
more.
i liked it and worked hard at it, but the last few yrs, after doing so
much
adjunct teaching for no pay...just got burned out.
it got me thinking, my life as a visual artist (for close to 40 yrs
now)...i
think the thing i like and why i keep doing it, is i don't like any rules.
just want to do what the F*** i want to do, for the longest time in my
sketchbooks i just like to scribble mostly....but it took me a long time
get there....
as this relates to music (or projects)-i'm reminded of a story from grad
school (when i got my MFA in painting)-i did a # of projects on sound art
back in the early 90s...my prof told me of his trying at one pt yrs
earlier
to do a joint art/music class w/ a music prof entailing "sound art"
principles...he said the music prof. bailed on the class b/c he thought
that
artists don't really follow any rules like musicians have to...i always
sort
of think about that when i'm playing my guitar...& since i'm mostly
self-taught-i'm not so bogged down in the rules (and boy i break a ton of
them!). oh well, rambling thoughts...good luck w/ your suggestions...i
have
none, i always tried to give my students as much freedom as possible,
which
is what got me in trouble in the end.....Philip Guston said: "the only
thing
the artist has is Freedom".
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen