Re: POLYRHYTHMIC COUNTERPOINT

2010/9/8 mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
mark francombe wrote:

clever to me, and Im very impressed with the head patting tummy stroking IS 7 beats against 5 a pleasant "musical" sound, if you remove the er... 16ths.. well not 16ths... but you know what I mean?

The trouble with odd times is that people tend to think that getting the notes in right place is *success*,
and leave it at that.

My point entirely!

That could be true for every time signature you're using. You can play a 4/4 with the right notes on the right place and it could still sound non musical, isn't it ? Like it or not, music is math at some level, but achiving a "musical" result for your composition involves working on an emotional level

As a musician I can´t help but be a bit impressed by clever and physically ambidextrous guitarist doing impossible things on a guitar, hell I once looked up on YouTube how to do a shredders sweep... but musically, these performances do tend to make me be a little sick in my mouth.

I actually often LIKE the sound polyrhythms make, but the fact that a musician is doing it ..  alone changes what I hear in it, suddenly I´m hearing technique and "clever clogs-ness"
.

...then, it's a matter of "how" your brain works....?

Are they playing an instrument, or are they doing 50 push-ups?
If only one could cheat and NOT really do it, but somehow use technology to achieve the same sound, so anyone could do it,
if only there was a device that could , oh I dont know, record what you play and repeat it at odd timings, so you didn't have to... that would be wonderful!

   not sure I've understand your point here, Mark, but I'm almost sure that technology will allow that in the future and I would try that for sure (I'd like a sort of "generative odd time signature software...lot of fun !).