Re: Polymeter - Polyrhythm - Changing Meter

  Mark Showalter wrote:
"

You can take a song like "Norweigin Wood" by the Beatles,
&  write it in 3/4 or 6/8 or 12/8 or even 300/8"

I see your point,  Mark, it's a really good one in most cases,
but I don't agree completely in this particular case.

Here's my understanding:

I would contend that Norwegian Wood is a Waltz, and, as such
it should be written in 3/4 (or 3/8, or for the sake of argument
3/64)..........the point being that the natural subdivision
is in groups of three.

My understanding of the distinction between 3/4 and 6/8
is that 6/8 naturally subdivides into two groups of 3 but
with the emphasis on the 6 notes figure.

If "Norwegian Wood" had a backbeat on beat 4 of the 6/8,
then I would agree with you and would NOT write it in 3/4
which does not have a similar rhythmic feel.

This is what distinguishes a lot of Doo Wop tunes from
more traditional Waltzes:  the backbeat clearly delineates the
midpoint in a 6 note figure.

I would contend it is wrong to write it in 12/8 or 300/8
or maybe wrong is the wrong word.............let's just
say it is unnecessarily obfuscating to do so.

Your mom can write a rhythm in 3 as a hemiola in 4 but
that is NOT how it is felt by the listener so I would say
she is just goofing and trying to be a bit of a whimsical
devils' advocate by doing so.

But, seriously,  I want to be respectful in my disagreement.
It's tiny compared to the agreement I feel in most situations
with what you write.