Re: EME moonbounce?

yes, due to the fact that a long cable has a high resistance, it would be necessary to boost the input signal in order to obtain some very small signal at the far end. That is why repeaters are used on undersea cables, each section is amplified before sending into the next section.

hmmm, I don't know much about optics, but it would be cool to build a box which takes the audio signal, converts to optical, then bounces off of two mirrors set x distance apart, when the number of bounces equals the distance you want, send the signal to the output. Voila, an Opto - Delay! This would also probably be the most expensive delay known to man, since it would require precise laser-optic type mirrors and a laser.

Eric

From: d.nix <d.nix@comcast.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Fri, December 24, 2010 5:07:10 PM
Subject: Re: EME moonbounce?

miles of wire (or however many thousands of feet) will already be the
equavalent of a large resistor... most large power resistors are in fact
coils of wire inside a cement substrate.

So you will indeed be 'impeding' the signal. Here is a chart that may shed
some light:

http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html