Re: The road less traveled (was Re: Hardware shopping for Les Paul)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Charles Zwicky <cazwicky@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> never use wax on a guitar again!!!) and restored it to it's original 1979
> splendor.
> It now presents it self to me as a Zen Koan or a mystery.. when I play
> it I
> find myself exploring the idiosyncrasies of this instrument... and a
> funny
> thing is happening... I am hearing MYSELF emerge from the instrument,
> rather
> than the instrument...

Exactly that keeps happening to me too! I too started rebuilding stuff
around -79. First I unfretted a cheap Ibanez guitar, but pretty soon I
was swapping guitar PU's, necks and bridges to explore new sounds.
When I got into the tenor sax a few years later I destroyed three
expensive mouth-pieces before I managed to optimize the tone chamber
to give the tone I wanted. And it is funny that when you are a
beginner you don't always recognize the true sound of yourself in
instruments - although you band mates may hear this. By age and
experience you get to know what your sound is but it seems that in
most cases the actual player him/her-self is the last one to find out!
:-)  Today I'm not sure I would use the expression "hearing myself"
more... it is more like a certain expression that "wants to get out"
through you. I'm getting that feeling now from all kind of gear, even
software algorithms.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se