Re: STRATEGIES for REHARMONIZATION in LIVE LOOP COMPOSITION

On Jun 10, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Rick Walker wrote:

> Thanks for taking so much time to explain, Ed.
> There's a lot to explore from all the things you mentioned......…thanks!

And all the other posts. Really lots of fun stuff to play around with for
new ideas.

> I am confused and  have a quick question about this, particular
> sentence, though.
> Take the circle of fifths for example, by moving tritones chromatically
> up or down, you alternate between the 7th and 3rd of one chord and the
> 3rd and 7th of the next chord, ad infinitum.
> I understand what the circle of fifths, the interval a tritone is and I
> understand the concept of moving chromatically,
> but I don't understand what you mean when you say to move tritones
> chromatically in the circle of fifths.

Just to be clear, I'm using "chromatically" to mean a chromatic scale.
I'll use a descending chromatic movement int the following example. This
works so wonderfully on guitar. Say you have a circle of fifths starting
with C7 F7 Bb Eb etc. The third and seventh of the C7 chord are the notes
E and Bb. Moving those two notes down a half step gives you Eb and A which
are the seventh and third of F7. Moving those two down a half step gives
you D and Ab which are the third and seventh of Bb. Moving those to down
gives you Db and G which are the seventh and third of Eb7. And on and on
all the way around the circle.
It is interesting and clever in itself but not overwhelmingly musical. But
as a guide or principle for soloing or orchestrating, it becomes more
useful. For example, playing a guitar solo, one could emphasize the chord
changes by playing either the third or seventh (or both together) and
moving it down a step right as the chord changes, like in a blues when it
goes from I to IV. You could play any variety of notes before or after and
get as far out as you want and then bring it back to earth right at the
chord change by playing 2 notes or 2 pairs of descending notes.
Hope this makes sense.