Re: any interest in a Looper's Delight online radio station?

This is a hard bunch. I recommend, though, that that Y2K-something stuff be played late at night - it might help me to get to sleep with that droning and such.

From: michael noble <looplog@gmail.com>
To: Tyler <programmer651@comcast.net>
Cc: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: any interest in a Looper's Delight online radio station?

Hi Tyler,

If you search the archives this has been rehashed many times, but I think you are not quite recognizing a specific distinction that the "live-looping" term was designed to define. You seem to be making a distinction between live versus studio use of pre-recorded loops, whereas in my understanding the "liveness" of the term "live-looping" refers to the actual real-time act of recording loops in a live environment. Perhaps you understand this already and if so I apologize.

I actually think that "looping" is indeed as general as you have defined it, but I also agree with others that in being so general, the term itself is not very interesting or useful these days. It is an extremely pervasive musical technique in that sense and it serves no function as a musical distinction in and of itself. In the most general sense of the term, it is very difficult to distinguish between a recording made up of copy and pasted repeated chords (looping) and a recording of a person repeatedly playing the same chords. They are only different in the live sense. To me, "looping" is a distinction which has no real value, whereas the live-looping distinction, where the creation of the loop becomes the performative and musical act as much as the manipulation of the loop, is a far more interesting and valuable distinction. You just can't hear that process on a studio recording which happens to have repeated samples as well as you can experience that process when a musician uses technology in a live setting to create loops in real-time.

All that is my long-winded saying I agree with others that a radio station that plays *any* music with loops would not be interesting to me without some further delineation of exactly what kind of loops you are talking about.

cheers
Michael