Re: Anyone license their music?

Knowing the music supervisor at a production company is essential to
getting regular calls.  The Aussie firm, Beyond Productions (behind many
discovery channel, and history channel shows) has been a good for me.

I got my first TV placement by way of Taxi membership.   Taxi.com.    The
track got picked up for a KIA add.    Its important to mention, I had
produced the track for a notable artist and his name brought the attention
to the taxi posting.  That's how I got going with TV work.  At the time, I
thought I had found my new lively-hood.  Alas-- I had definitely NOT!
This work is piece meal and there is always someone willing to do it for
50 bucks.  Also, the days of publishing royalties in TV are nearly gone
(Unless you are humongous audience drawing name).  For instance, I did
Mythbusters for a time.  It was lucrative but- I had to grant all
publishing control to the production company in order to get the work.  No
residual income.  That really smarts when a show becomes a big hit as
Mythbusters did.  And check it out--  Once the show had established its
sound and audience, the production company sent the music production work
to an intern.  The music is now all canned licks that are in keeping with
the original sounds we created for the show.  But no original compositions
any more.  See--there is always someone willing to do it for 50 bucks. :)

In film, i reached out to local film makers in the bay area.  I did
freebie work for underfunded films.  Then, one of those underfunded
directors with whom I had a relationship landed a bigger fish and hired me
as composer and music supervisor for a film that we edited out of Zoetrope
studios.  The 14 days and nights spent at Zoetrope hooked me in with other
music supervisors and film makers.  Still..  no mega retirement package
but-- I have made some good art from time to time and managed to eat while
doing it.

There is another market you did not mention and thats the songwriter
market.  Selling songs to publishing companies who then present them to
artists for recording.  This can be very very lucrative if you land a big
hit.  And once you have a hit, the phone won't stop ringing-- or so I am
told.

The trick is to get a door to open somewhere.  Learn your local seen and
be willing to put the work out there like bate on a hook.  Be that guy
willing to do it for $50 bucks.

good luck and don't quit your day job!  I certainly haven't.

Daniel