Re: reducing "time to setup"--

Being a relative newbie....

I think Amy is spot on when she says "If written thoughtfully..."

It's all about the arrangement.  You don't have to build it the same way
every time. I try and break things into simple elements, essential
elements, and complex elements.  These are almost always coincident with
time.  And there is tech is to help defeat layers.  Harmonizers can flush
out your melody and harmony in one pass.  I built a stomp box so I can lay
and bass line (and/or melody) and a "kick-drum" at the same time.

Sometimes I start with bass and build up.  Sometimes I start with the
melody.  Sometimes I start with the rhythm.  Sometimes I'll put some horn
punches in early.  Sometimes I'll add them later.  Sometimes I'll add new
sections.  All of these are just techniques to add interest and variation
to the presentation.

But if you're doing ambient stuff I don't think any of that matters.  :)

Noah

Peterson Entertainment, Llc
999 East Basse Road #180-117
San Antonio, TX 78209