The Bells, the bells...

Apologies if this has been dealt-with previously, but in terms of early-day
loopers, have you considered the case of (church) bell ringing?

I was visiting friends in the north-west of England at the weekend, and was
struck by the possible synergy of bell ringing/looping as I passed a
bridal
party outside the main church in Macclesfield, where the local
campanologists(sp?) were `giving it loads'. A bit ramshakle (in a pleasing
way)
to my ears (as phrases moved around in time seeming to stretch and
contract
smoewhat randomly), I had a quick search on the Web and found the
following
page:

                 http://www.spec.gmu.edu/~msorell/bells.html

which gives some info on how the peals are constructed. I'll not copy it
here in
case this is too far from what everyone's interested in (plus good old
copyright
concerns), but it might well be worth a visit to those interested in the
polyrhytmn/in-&-out of sync debate.

PS there was also a man playing bagpipes down the road from the church,
but I'm
not prepared to get into that right now - love those drones, though...

David

david.orton@bl.uk
`Those Orton Leaves': http://subnet.virtual-pc.com/~or387751/