Re: "This thing should not exist!" or: Pain through Quadrophonics

Andre wrote:

>Today I was talking to my guitar teacher, a fellow by the name of Miroslav
>Tadic, who some of you may be familiar with through his work on the MA and
>CMP labels, particularly in conjunction with David Torn.  Miroslav was
>telling me about a project he had done about fifteen years ago involving
>sending a one-note loop through a Buchla synthesizer which was panned
>through a quadrophonic speaker system.  He had intended to create a
>tranquil, peaceful environment where the listener could lie in the middle
>of the quadrophonic sound field and bliss out while the loop circled
>around him.
>
>What happened, however, was that Miroslav found himself getting *seasick*
>from the experience.  Rather than getting the sensation of sound
>travelling around his head, he found his quad loop generated the sensation
>of his own body moving around the looped sound, even as he was lying on
>the ground in the middle of the speaker array.  He described it as a very
>disturbing sensation, remarking, "I had to wind up detroying this piece.
>I decided that this was a thing that should not exist."

Andre, I am in the process of setting up a quadrophonic setup, as well.  I
had this setup last spring for several months -- then business travel
forced my to move, and break down my setup.  I finally have acquired a new
space, and should have this setup again within a few weeks.

Using this setup, I created some "sound spaces", which were very
psychologically stimulating, although I wouldn't use such a
negatively-connotated word as "seasick".  But there is something about the
spatial aspect to the music that interacts with me psychologically, that I
DON'T get from a standard stereo field.  This medium lends itself to the
"installation" style of performance, rather than the performer-audience
style, since the audience, ideally, would be within the quad field, as well
as the performer.

Collier -- you mentioned  something once about an octophonic setup...can
you give some details on that.  I would love to continue a thread on the
spatial aspect of looping - ie. using loops to create sound spaces.

- Chris

P.S.  Andre -- I would like to see your performance on Oct. 30, but
unfortunately will be out of town that week.  Will you be doing any other
performances in the LA area?

Chris Chovit
cho@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov