Re: Okay, let's get philosophical: Performance Theory time

>Dave Trenkel wrote:
>
>> I play
>>computer-controlled synths, samplers and effects, using real-time control
>>software I've written in MAX, no sequencing or tapes, with a lot of live
>>looping and sampling of the other musicians.
>
>This is interesting to me!  What devices do you use as your interface for
>real-time control? (eg. footswitches, footpedals, keyboard, computer
>mouse,
>etc..).   What synths, loopers and samplers are you using?

Well, since you asked :-)

I use 2 keyboards, Yamaha DX-7 and a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak, and a
Peavey PC-1600 midi fader box (16 programmable faders, 16 programmable
buttons and 2 foot controller inputs, also programmable). These run into
Mac IIsi running a batch of MAX patches I've written over the years that do
primitive sequencing/midi looping, system exclusive timbral control of the
synthesizers, and various other controller functions. This all drives a
Korg DSM-1 sampler, a Yamaha tx81-z, the dx-7, 6-trak, and for processing,
Lexicon LXP-5 and jAmmAn, and a Boss SE-50. I use just about anything I can
to generate controllers, from the dx-7 breath controller to the jaMman
footpedals. I can do real-time sampling and looping with the JammaN, and
slightly-less than real-time with the DSM-1. One of my common strategies is
to have my collaborators start playing without me, while I sample and loop
them with no audio out, then after a minute or two I start bringing in the
loops, doing live processing, etc. I also have a pair of ARP Odysseys that
sometimes make it to gigs as well, depending on how much stuff I feel like
carrying. The ARP's are great not only as sound sources, but as processors
as well, since you can run audio through their filters.

There are some other areas I'd like to break into with this. I have a
powermac that I use in the studio for Deck/Hyperprism/Studio Vision, etc,
and I'd like to either write some DSP routines for it, or, (more likely)
link some Hyperprism instruments into the system for more flexible
processing. Also, a 2nd jaMMan or Echoplex may come into the system
eventually...

I don't perform with this setup as often as I'd like, because it takes a
lot of setup/hauling time. I'm also looking for ways to streamline it, like
getting a cheap powerbook to run the max stuff.

Anybody else out there doing live computer music?

Dave Trenkel, NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: improv@peak.org
self promotional web-site: http://www.peak.org/~improv/
"A squid eating dough in a polyethelene bag is fast
and bulbous, got me?"
                                     -Captain Beefheart