Re: Locatons for looping.

At 11:17 AM 10/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hope about places like Borders bookshops?

as with coffeehouses, (I find) Borders is not that responsive.  I spent
about two months trying to get a slot, and they just kept putting me off.

i have a feeling that if I'd said I sing folk songs or that I sound just
like neil young i would have been in immediately.

there is antipathy for electric guitarists for some reason, and solo
electric ambient looping guitarists are (apparently) too strange for most
coffeehouse/bookstore gigs.  funny thing is, if you can get someone to
allow
a performance...people really like it!

the idea someone mentioned of offices / atriums is not so farfecthed.  most
people want to be "actively" entertained or hear their "favorite songs".
they only understand if the man strumming the guitar sings a song they can
"relate to".

what we loopers do is SO different, that i find we must look at a whole
different set of performance possibilities.  i am still targeting some
coffeehouses, but so far the only luck i've had is from a new venture that
has internet at their cafe.  since this was high tech-ish, i spoke to the
owner at length about what i do, and we will be setting something up in a
few weeks' time.

but for other venues, my next logical step is to approach art galleries,
restaurants....office parks...anywhere where an "installation" style
"performance" would be more suitable.

you will never be able to loop in a crowded smoky bar.  no one will listen.
you can't open for the local prog band...no one will listen.

so we must look at some alternatives.  several excellent ideas have been
presented!

dave at seventeen

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *    You can't teach ducks to dance...
*                          *         (Mr. Blint, Consequences/Godley &
Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168