Re: Amplifiers

>Has anyone out there heard or tried the *Dawn* system? It's a stereo
>sattelite and subwoofer speaker system with tiny  speakers up on stands
>and
>the usual unobtrusive black box sub. I've heard it demoed a couple of
>times
>(at NAMM and another trade show) but with pre-recorded material only.
>Looks
>sortta funky, but it did sound pretty good. Has anyone heard it with live
>music? Seems like it would make a pretty decent light weight and highly
>mobile unit.
>
>Ted

Gibson actually distributes this. I don't think they own dawn, but they
handle sales and marketing or something. I used one of these dawn systems
to demo the echoplex at the last namm show. They sound pretty good. We were
also demoing various analog synths and hammond b-3 simulators, and the low
end from the subwoofer really made this stuff sound great. I had my dod
Death Metal pedal with me, and with the tight bass response it sounded down
right terrifying! I turned the "pain" knob up and people were literally
collapsing in front of me! Well, not really, but they would have if not for
those darned sound police imposing db limits.....

The dawn has a mixer and power amp built into a suitcase for easy carrying.
The sattelites are quite small, like 6 inches square. They mount on sturdy
mic-type stands. The sub is the only big piece, and its about combo amp
size. I think it would work fine for looping needs. I'm not sure of the
specs, but it does sound quite good. Probably better for smaller gigs, I
don't think it has enough juice to fill big clubs or anything. A guy I know
that demo's and clinics zeta electric violins uses one and likes it quite a
lot.

kim