Re: Something to try, if you dare

On 21 Nov 1996, Michael Peters wrote:

> >Another idea my friend suggested was microwaving cd's. Supposedly the
> >plastic on the disc develops a network of spider-web cracks. I never got
> >around to trying this, but I'm intrigued by the idea again.
>
> WIRED magazine has a CD review page every month which also includes a
> 'microwave of the month' (with photo), being the worst new CD they could
> find this month. I wonder if they ever tried to play it after frying.

I've never been able to get a CD to play post-frying.  Shame, really, as
they _look_ like they should sound really cool.

Anyone tried the low-tech version of all this cd destruction?  You can
force a turntable to "loop" as well, by placing somewhat heavy smallish
objects on the record (quarters, taped-down bottle caps, that sort of
thing).  This has the added advantage of a the loop varying itself
slightly over time as well, as the object will either get bumped around by
the stylus, or the stylus will move slightly further/closer away on the
record.  Again, pick a record (and perhaps even a turntable) that you
don't care about to try this with.

--Eric Cook                 ecook@mail.msen.com
  Gravitar-Guy              http://www.msen.com/~ecook/gravitar.html