Re: Drummers and Syncing

hey all...
here's another take on live looping & syncing:

I have spent 9 years in a band with two people looping with delays and two
other people looping with samplers...
the delay-based loopers were me (stereo guitar>modified pcm42>jamman and
our
violinist (stereo violin>tc2290>digitech 8 second delay)...
the sampler loopers were the drummer who generated his own loops and
triggered his own click in a headphones setup... and the keyboard player
who
used sampled and sequenced loops. He would at times send midi clock to the
drummer and to the delays in cases where we wanted hard sync. Other times,
mr. drummer was master of time and our subsequently perfomed looping
synce-on-the-fly and previously created and sampled loops all somehow
managed
to sit. I'm a big fan of creating loops, especially ambient ones and
sampling
them for later tomfoolery, so alot of the  composition was based around
samples of rythmic loops with ambi-washes and further rythmic textures
created spontaneously.
 We were and continue to be (I think) one of the very few song-oriented
bands
to be using techniques like these. Best thing to do though is have your own
sound man, as a house guy who is unfamiliar with your act will have nary a
clue as to what sound is coming from where...
we fooled many