Hard Disc Recording

        Just thought I'd add to the recent posts concerning hard disc
recording. My
recording system consists of an Akai DR4d and a Pawer Mac 6400/180. All
recording is done on the Akai then SCSI'd to the Mac as an SDII file via
MOTU'S Wave Edit program that was designed specifically for the DR4d. What
Wave Edit lets you do is view graphically, what was recorded on the DR4d,
on
your computer and do all your editing (Fades, optimization,cut,paste, etc.)
on the computer while the audio stays on the DR4d. After editing you can
save
the final song as an SDII file and arcive your work on your computers hard
drive (or a zip drive etc). From here you can download back to the DR4d or
go
tape. I prefer to load the file back to the Akai (via SCSI) and go to tape
from there since the audio conections on the Akai are better than on this
particular Mac model. On the Mac itself I'm running Digidesign Session
software. The only thing I use Sessions for is for working on sound files
(EQ'ing, adjusting levels/balance etc.) that are going to remain on the
computer, such as Quick Time  movies or video soundtracks. I should mention
that I don't generally do any cutting/pasting and "building" of songs due
the fact that I'm a Chapman Stick player and am pig headed about being able
to play and record all parts live with both hands and Jamman. (As an
example,
I wouldn't play a two handed bass line then go back and record an
overlapping
melody part.) Unfortunately a lot of stuff never gets to tape because of
this
:-).
        Also, I should mention that a good idea for anybody getting into
direct to
disc audio recording should be to invest in a good disc de-fragmentation
program and, on a Mac, to rebuild the "dest top" on a regular basis. The
more
editing you do of audio the more imperative both of these become.
        This post wasn't meant to "plug" any particular products but just
describe my particular set up and way of using the tools I use. I hope it
added to the topic.--Paul