getting into "the zone"

John brought up:
>The closest I've ever come to a formula for cultivating getting into
>"the zone" was when I was gigging regularly, and playing a song I knew
>well and played frequently (usually pretty much the same way).  I would
>make a conscious decision to do one thing differently than usual-- start
>a solo on a different note, for example, or try a much slower tempo.  Of
>course, it didn't always work-- but sometimes it did. :-)

Sounds like taking a risk is a important part.
To "trust that it comes out right" is maybe similar to "calling the angel"

>What matters is the ability to play without conscious thought.

Right. But what does your conscious care about while this? Nothing?
I do not think so. You are aware of technical things of the stage,
reactions of the public... just not your composition, only the result of
it, is that it?

I tried to play without paying atention at all. Did not work. It takes
listening, better even admiration for what comes out, without egoistic
thinking.

>At this point, looping seems to be so cerebral that I'm not sure I'll
>be able to reach that level.  Discuss?

Is it? For me its the train into the zone!

For my sound, reverb is important, too.
Thats why they made the churches high in the middle age. Or do we react on
reverb because generations of monks sang in it and related the sound to...

Before looping I had the experiences with the zone, mostly solos I did not
remember after the concert. Listening to the tape I note that I only
remembered the bad parts and not the good ones. I still have that tendency.

But since looping, its much more conscious.

A friend (neither in love nor musician, just audience) once explained.
"when you start playing, its nothing, just some stupid notes. But then I
see the train coming, from far, and when its here, all is different and the
notes turn into music and we all get on the train"

So the operation of the machinery may be cerebral, but this maybe even
helps me to play without thinking about playing?
No, I think, once its really rolling, the operation of the machinery is
inconscious, too.
I remember to have touched a key by accident, like stumbling, and been
annoyed about "screwing up the loop" that very moment. Later when I
listened to the tape, I realized that it was the perfect step, so...

The thing might be the integration of the whole equipment. The volume pedal
can be operated in a "cerebral" way, but soon, it expresses automatically.

More thoughts. experiences?
Matthias