Re: Music just for musicians?

Greg Hogan wrote:

> Well I tried to make a simple blanket statement about a very complex
> situation and it seems that I opened a big can of worms.  Has Lexicon
>made
> mistakes?  Yes, of course.  We did try to create interest in the JAMMAN
>and
> Vortex.  These products did not sell at 1/3 of the rate as the ALEX or
> REFLEX.  Yes there were forecasting problems.  Does Lexicon owe it to the
> community to keep products in the product line?  I don't think so.  Is
> Lexicon run by musicians?  I wish.  Is a discussion of corporate politics
> really very relevant to this list?  I don't believe so but I suppose it
>is
> debatable.
>
> I do not get it.  Which would be worse?  The fact that we stopped
>shipping
> these products or if they were never made?
>
> I was warned when I arrived at this list that John Durant was almost
> railroaded off of this list.  Well his interest in the art of looping has
> kept him here.  I am not running away as I am used to taking the
>punishment
> for the actions of others(it has been my job for a long time.)  But lets
>not
> waste time with this issue.

Greg,

I've been reading this list since October, and have been delighted with
the window it has afforded me into the realities of designing,
manufacturing and marketing such entities as the Vortex, JamHermano, and
Echoplex.

While Jon may have felt some warmth regarding (mis)representations of
the JamOne as a stereo looper, my recollection is that this was quickly
cleared up by the original poster's acknowledgement that this was a
retailer's doing, not Lexicon's.  I myself did some venting about one of
Lexicon's sister Harman International companies-- but so has Jon. ;-)
But "almost railroaded off of this list"?  I don't think so, and I
certainly hope not!

> It would be more constructive(and interesting)
> to discuss what everybody would like to see in the next generation of
> dedicated(or not) looping technology.  Maybe if we are all good on the
> karmic scale Lexicon or Oberheim(or Roland or Alesis) might answer our
> prayers.

While I speak only for myself, my take on the second-guessing of
Lexicon's marketing efforts is that its intent is constructive:  We
appreciate the devices, we're disappointed that their sales don't
justify their continuation, and we'd like to help identify the problems
in order to help insure the success of the next device to enter this
market niche.  I don't know of anyone eager to return to the days of
twin reel-to-reels.

I agree that it would be more interesting to discuss the technical specs
of the next-generation looper.  But what good will that achieve, if it
can't be marketed?  For me, this thread represents a probably necessary,
if not always pleasant-tasting, dose of reality.

I don't think I've said so before, but I'm very glad you're reading and
contributing to this list.

John Pollock
mailto:johnpollock@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock (Troubador Tech)