Re: Bananas Echoplex Page

David Talento wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Clark wrote:
>
>> The Bananas at Large page says that the Echoplex "saves/loads Loops
>> and sound files".  I wasnt aware that it was able to save loops at all.
>> Is this an error on their page or is it correct?
>
>Well it's kinda misleading IMO. You can "save" loops by going through the
>finicky midi sample dump features. I for one have never gotten this to
>work but I'm told it does.

What are you trying to save it to? Some companies implemented sample dump
in strange ways. (the k2000, for instance, added some new parameters that
you have to supply or it don't work) Maybe we can find a workaround for you
or at least make sure your sampler is supported when that part of the
software is updated.

>Usually when I hear people talking about "saving" something they are
>refering to static RAM where you turn off the unit and it stays in
>memory until you intentionally erase it. The EP does *not* do that, once
>you turn it off it loses all memory and boots clean the next time you
>turn it on.

The quantity of memory we are talking about makes this sort of storage
method very expensive. Especially 3-4 years ago when the echoplex was being
designed. If we had added such a feature at the time, nobody could have
afforded it. Now, flash memory is finally getting cheaper, but then people
want more memory. So the problem doesn't go away. SCSI would be the best,
but it's still not very cheap in low volumes, and you would still have to
buy a disk. (and we would have to design some kind of file structure and
disk os, and figure out how to control it from the interface, which would
take a while) So the question is, how much is something like that worth to
you?

>> BTW, their toll free number is 800 786 7585
>
>FWIW I called them yesterday and they said they are backordered on the
>pedals just liek everyone else. They did say they're at teh top of the
>list when they do come in but it will probably be a couple weeks at best.
>The do have the Echoplex unit in stock though. Didn't get a price on that
>(they wanted $110 for the pedal alone).

You can make a pedal if you like, directions are on the web page. It's
pretty easy. Also, there are jacks on the back for using ordinary momentary
switch type pedals to control Record and Overdub, which might be enough
until the pedals are available again.

kim