Re: Whammy

> I covet more elaborate pitch tweakage. .  How about a discussion
> >of moderately priced pitch shifting/harmonizing/whammy-ing devices?

> What about the digitech whammy pedal?  That thing seems to do alot of
>pitch
> shifting and whammy.  Kind of looks cool too!!

....................I have 2 Whammy IIs and love 'em.  They're wonderful
with a
mic...or anything else I've put them through.  When I have both in the set
up, I
generally have one as a frontline processor (it has a nice little preamp
for
remote ampage) and put the other one right after my rang to be able to
warp out
the loopage.  One iteresting effect is playing the rang loop back at
half-speed
and shooting it up an octave on the trailing whammy so the pitch is the
same as
the original but half the original rate...duh.  you can imagine the
variations.

The whammy has good tracking, better than anything else I've seen in the
$150 -
$200 range and has a variety of stepped through stages.  The pedal part of
the
pedal allows you to smoothly gliss up and down various intervals (up to 2
octs)
and to play several harmony intervals.  I especially like using trombone
create steel guitarish lines as I rock between m3 and M3 or 5ths and 6ths,
etc.

I have minor complaints about the interface (you can only step Forward
through
the stages and there oughta be a slight center notch on the pedal to be
able to
(for example) find exact unison when you're given the choice of oct up or
oct
down harmony.  And, while I'm being picky, when I'm using a mic, I have to
always be aware of how much I'm bleeding the rest of the band through my
mic.
Some folks go ballistic when they hear their own hard fought sound coming
out in
strange intervals through someone else's stage monitor.  I generally find
if I
set up on the opposite side of the stage from the lead guitarist, I get
fewer
sore ribs from agressive necks probing my space.  Of course, there's an
effect
mute switch, the use of which is determined by my attitude toward the gig
and
any potential disturbed bleeders.

That said, I'm awfully glad to have found the Whammy.  I've played several
sessions using trombone to exactly mimic trumpet or tuba.  And the two
octave up
is so etherial...I often use it on bass to get above the rest of the band
for
solo and pad stuff...and that's all I have to say about that - Forest
Gump.