New Ideas for Loop-boxes: Wishes and Dreams Department.

>And as technology allows us more possibilites, the interface design
becomes
>even more challenging. Many ideas for what the next generation of
loopers
>should do have been proposed here. How will the musician control these
>features? What will make them intuitive and easy to use expressively,
like
>guitars and pianos and saxophones?

>kim

Kim & Loop-Folk

Picking up on the idea -- how about adding a special page to the
LOOPERS-DELIGHT Web-page capturing these ideas in an ongoing basis?

In the meantime here are a few ideas I have for improving the ergonomics
/ usability of looping devices to add to your files...
Comments anyone?

1.  Visual reference points for where one is in a loop.
        a) a waveshape would be an excelent visual representation
        b) a kind of LCD "time-o-meter" spining one revolution/loop
(like divers' watches with all those fancy dials)

- sometimes it can be quite difficult to know where one is in a long
loop.
- it would help time placement of "new additions" and multiples...and
general "situational -- "where am I?"" needs...
- and maybe with two colours: Red for "that which has RECENTLY been
added" and Green for "that which has already been added"

2. Manipulation of end-to-end connect points... Open Loop / Close Loop
- imagne a 10 second loop.  Then imagine connecting two points within
that 10 seconds to create a newer shorter loop.

        10 sec. loop:           aa(start)> bb> cc> dd> ee> ff> gg> hh>
ii> jj> kk(end)>   --->> aa> bb> etc
        new shorter loop:       dd(newstart)> ee> ff> gg(newend)> -->
dd> ee> ff> etc.

        and then connecting from  cc> to hh>... etc.

I'm half sure someone will tell me this is already available -- if only
I knew how....

3.      Computer interface/controlability...
- seems like a good idea

4        Tie-ins with all new the hard-disk recording gear
- may be helpful for loop-"boxes" to stay in the market...
- to create "an Easy Sample-Builder" capability for studios and midi
minded folk.

5.      Return&send ins/outs

6.      Stereo in ONE box

7.      More versatile input sensitivity

8.      Knobs and Pots that are securred to the boxes chasis -- not just
attached to the circuit boards...
-For $500+ I expect some element of "robustness."

9.      Variable Pitch
- Imagine taking a loop and changing its pitch by turning a wheel/knob.
+/- One Octave would be fab.

10.      Leds/lights on the Oberheim foot-controller
- For live performance, I'm not always close enough to my rack to see
what's lit-up.  But I am close to the foot controller.

David Kirkdorffer