I like wall warts!

Hello everyone,

I've got a slightly different take on wall warts...

Because they're pretty much universal these days, I can buy gear overseas
(usually in the US) at the cheapest possible price, ship it back home,
replace the wall wart with one for local power (240V, 50Hz) and be up and
going quickly and easily.  This definitely beats either buying gear locally
(I'm in Australia) for cost reasons, or buying gear with an integrated
power supply and going through the hell of getting it changed to 240V 50Hz.

I've got a huge big 240V to 110V transformer sitting under my studio desk,
which powers all my gear that (a) I can't get converted for a reasonable
price coz it doesn't have a wall wart, and (b) doesn't mind running at
50Hz.  The transformer weighs a ton, probably constitutes a fire risk and
is a huge pain to transport.

If it was a totally wall wart world, I'd be much happier!

To any of the equipment manufacturers listening out there: please don't
change!

Dave Mitchell