RE: I like wall warts!

Not to take the side of big business, but the logic behind excluding
cheap but nonessential parts/features goes like this:
If widget-X costs $1, then by not including it you make $1 per unit. At
this point, we are generally inclined to say "Cheap bastards! Making $1
more on a $300 item!".
However, from the manufacturers point of view, if he/she/they sell a
million units, he/she/they will increase their profits by $1,000,000.
The make or break point on this kind of feature inclusion/exclusion is:
Will you buy it without the switch? The answer is generally "yes".

As far as switches go, unless they include some kind of smart shut down
circuitry (most don't need it), throwing the switch is the same as
pulling the cord out of the wall. A good surge protector will generally
have switch on it, if you use it, you only have to turn one thing off.