Re: Recommended Recordings

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Dave Trenkel wrote:

> One disc I like a lot, and have been meaning to recommend to this list,
>is
> Ned Rothenburg and Paul Dresher's "Opposites Attract", on New Worlds

Here's another recommendation for Paul Dresher's work.  I saw him several
times over the course of my high school years (maybe that explains a few
things...!) and was (and remain) very impressed by his work.  He was the
first person I ever saw who was doing real-time looping of parts in order
to build up multi-layered instrumental beds, and as mentioned, he was
using modified or custom gear to do the things that we do today with the
Big Three.  I was particularly struck by a performance art piece he did
with Rinde Eckert called _Slow Fire_, which features the aforementioned
bits in sort of a Laurie Anderson-ish postmodernist vein (for lack of a
less clinical description).

--Andre