Unsettling Ambience -- Driving an audience nuts with niceness.

        WT Hartnett writes:

        Some people are driven nuts by "waiting for
        the real music to start", and can't listen to ambient stuff
without
        drums, fixed chord changes, etc.

I know what you mean.

I have a friend who once said he keeps waiting for "an event" in ambient
music.  I think one of the challenges ambient music poses to newbie
listeners is "how to listen" to something that is not fitting into a
known format.  I believe it's the same challenge classical, jazz and
folk music may pose to a typical top-40 trained ear.

So, ironically even the most soothing ambient music can have an
unsettling effect on an "uninitiated" audience.

David