Re: MIDI Looping/Dresher

At 12:17 PM 7/19/97, Warren Sirota wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>In case anyone's interested, I wrote an application for and article on
>MIDI Looping using MAX in Electronic Musician. Look for "MAX Programming
>Workshop," August 1991. I created a multi-track looping program I called
>"The Dresherizer" because it was inspired by Paul Dresher (that begs the
>question, actually, of why I haven't seen any mention of Dresher in this
>group. Have I just missed it? Is anyone else familiar with his stuff?)

I was championing his Opposites Attract CD, a collaboration with Ned
Rothenberg on this list a while back, it's one of my absolute fave looping
discs.

I remember seeing your article back then, at the time I wasn't very fluent
in MAX, I should snoop around now for that article, I could probably get
more out of it now.

On a somewhat related note, I played briefly with a pre-midi ARP analog
control voltage sequencer recently. It had sixteen sliders that sent CV's,
which could either be interpreted as pitch or some other controller (filter
cutoff, whatever), and a clock that would step through the slider values.
You could route the CV's to any of three outs. It was a great, intuitively
easy, real time, though it doesn't exactly capture performance dynamics, it
was very easy to generate loops that could be varied over time. I'm
considering implementing a MIDI version in MAX when I get time.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra