Re: Bassoon Uber Alles

At 11:52 AM 8/12/97, Paolo Valladolid wrote:
>> >International Double Reed Society
>> >Library Holdings - Music: Solo Bassoon

>> >The following is music for Solo Bassoon. The entries in this list are
>> >sorted by Composer.
>>
>> (long list of works deleted)
>>
>> I think John P. may have (and if not, I am) been referring not to works
>> written for unaccompanied bassoon, or featuring the bassoon, but rather
>> spontaneous realtime composition and performance over a pre-decided
>> backing, i.e., a hot bassoon solo in the pop music sense.
>
>All John requested was "Point out a killer bassoon solo" to which
>Dave complied.  Sorry to nitpick but he didn't specify a pop music
>context.
>
>Even if he did, does it really matter?  A killer bassoon solo is a killer
>solo regardles of genre.

Hey, for some interesting use of bassoon in a rock context, albiet very
experimental, check out Lindsay Cooper with Henry Cow, killer stuff all.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra