Re: GEAR Question: Roland GR-700

> From: Kim Flint <kflint@chromatic.com>

> >  I would say buy it only if you are a collector. The new GR30 does so
> >much more, sounds much better, tracks MUCH better, and can be had new
> >for less than $1000 with the GK2A pickup. I think it includes a
> >sequencer, too.

> GR30's internal synth is sample playback, right? Since the GR-700 is
analog,
> it will likely sound totally different. Whether it's better or not
depends
> on what you want to do. I usually find sample playback synths to be
> completely unsatisfying, especially from a guitar controller. I tend to

Kim, I couldn't agree with you more (and sorry for joining the discussion
late).  With the resurgence of interest in analog keyboards (knobs!!) I
wonder if Roland, or anyone for that matter, will re-issue a guitar synth
similar to the GR-300/700s.  It seems that with all the other advancements
with guitar synth tracking, an analog hybrid guitar synth could really
shine and offer players an alternate to sample playback machines.

Speaking of guitar synths, has anyone heard Andy Summer's new solo album?
The first track features some really great out there guitar sounds
reminiscent of some of his guitar synth work with the Police....or it just
could be some *very* creative work with an effects processor.

Matt