Re:becoming a small, mobile, intelligent unit

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 djdowling@earthlink.net wrote:

> For those who care to read no further, the subject is : playing guitar
> and guitar synth without conventional amplifiers etc.

I'll just keep that warning...

> Desired outcomes: to play guitar with multiple effects, looping
> capability and guitar synth without 500 pedals and 8 speakers and an
> amp.
> What it seems that I need:
> A cool effect processor (with excellent distortion, etc.)
> Some kind of SansAmp device (does such a device make a separate
> distortion unnecessary?)
> Speakers that are guitar and guit synth friendly
> Echoplex (or jman etc)
> Gr-30 (this I have)
>
> What is a hypothetical set up for my needs?
> What does the signal path look like?

First, break the problem up into smaller problems... tone sources (guitar,
synth), effects, looping devices, routing, and amplification.  Now, what
are the needs for each sub-problem?

It appears you have two different tone sources... the guitar, and the
synth.  For the guitar, I assume you want standard electric guitar tones,
clean and distorted, with good dynamics.  The classic electric guitar
sound comes from a tube amp and a guitar-oriented speaker.  No preamp
device, no matter how clever, can give you quite that tone.  However, you
CAN get close enough for rock'n'roll.  Your playing is probably limited to
the guitar with the synth pickups, right?  Find a preamp that sounds good
with THAT, and your personal playing style.  This sort of thing is very
sensitive to picking technique, tunings, and all sorts of personal
subtleties.  I think the SansAmps do a damn good job at replicating raw
amp tones, but again, it's what works for YOU that counts.  Another idea
is to add a line-out circuit to a regular guitar amp, as was discussed
here recently.  Ultimately, you want a line-level output of your raw,
unprocessed guitar tone, with a sound that is satisfactory to you.
Preferably, it shouldn't make noise on its own (as a guitar amp and a
microphone will).

As for the synth, I assume you DON'T want that passed through a guitar amp
simulator, which will change its sound.  The synth itself should already
provide nice line-level outputs.

Okay, now we have two separate line-level tone sources.  Where do they go?
You may want separate effects chains for each tone source, or you may want
them to share effects.  Ultimately, you'll probably loop both of them, and
want them to share looping devices.  Either way, you'll need a mixer of
some sort.  This can be as simple or as complicated as you like.  Several
companies sell small, inexpensive mixers with very flexible routing and
good sonics.  Some of these can even be rack-mounted.  You can put
different effects into the effects sends and inputs of the mixer, and
build very flexible chains of effects and looping.  A mixer is almost an
instrument itself!

As for effects and loopers... just get whatever you like, and can afford!

Ultimately, the mixer should produce a stereo output... again, I'm
assuming you want stereo.  Things can be mixed to mono, of course, and if
you want more than two channels of sound, that's a whole other ball of
wax.  From the stereo line mix, you run your amplifiers.  Again, I'm
assuming you don't want your synths treated like guitar signal.
Therefore, you want something clean and hi-fi.  A high-quality stereo
amplifier and speakers are essential here.  Consider the listening
environment... is this for home use, or live performance?  PA speakers
generally sacrifice accuracy for volume.  For home use, use good studio
monitors.  For live performance, you might want to use your own monitors,
and run an additional line out to a regular PA.

Finally... do NOT let this get too complicated!  If it's a pain to use,
it'll interfere with your playing.

> How do I become (as Fripp would have it) a small, mobile and intelligent
> unit? (I understand that only I can account for intelligence...but you
> can help me to be informed.)

Small and mobile?  Keep your performance tools as self-contained and
independent as possible.  If you are mobile, this means reducing setup and
teardown times, and insuring reliability as well.  Intelligent?  To me,
that means understanding WHY you choose to do things the way you do.

Although I wasn't thinking with Fripp in mind, I made conscious decisions
toward smallness for my new band.  Guitars must be acoustic, and drums
must not be a standard trap kit (we're using congas and bodhran for now).
Sticking to acoustic guitar keeps me from falling back on the ease of
playing and stock sound sthat electric guitar brings.  The same goes for
the drums... without snare, kick, and hi-hat, we have to think differently
to achieve standard rhythms.  On top of this, it makes playing setup very
easy, and practice sessions are at very reasonable volumes.  Eventually,
I'll start looping the acoustic guitar, but even then, I can't play louder
than the limits of the congas.  These self-imposed limits of smallness
force creativity and enhance the performing environment.

-dave

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.       /* dstagner@icarus.net */
   -Charles Fort