On being complete nerds

once again, Looper's Delight is pushing the geek-o-meter way into the red.
Now I certainly deserve some of the blame, but even I reach my limits with
endless babbling about this and that feature about whatever the latest
gadget is. Now I know you're all capable of much more enlightened
conversation, so let's have it!

1. How about this: What are the approaches you take improvisationally /
compositionally in creating and building a loop? Is there a structure to it
all? And leave the gear specifics out!

2. Top 10 lists are lame, I know. But I am really fascinated by the way
this list brings together people with quite different musical backgrounds
and styles. We're using similar techniques to create totally different
kinds of music. Rather than babbling about which delay pedal we use, I'd
like to hear more about the diversity of styles and interests that we are
all pursuing. I think there is a lot to learn from people doing things that
are different from what we do, yet somehow still similar; it opens up new
ideas to bring back to our own music. One cheap and easy way to get a
picture of musical interests is current listening habits, so toss in a list
of the cds/tapes/tracks, whatever that you're listening to! For me, the
stuff I'm listening to is always the stuff I've recently bought, because my
attention span is only a few seconds long and I get bored with stuff very
fast. A few things will hang around longer, that usually means I really
like it. Anyway, in no order, here's some interesting music I've listened
to lately, with no commentary since I don't have that much time:

Dr. Octagon  - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Paul D. Miller  - Viral Sonata (that's the guy who's aka dj spooky doing an
ambient album)
Meat Beat Manifesto  - subliminal sandwich
dj krush - Meiso
Grooverider Presents: The Prototype Years
Photek - Modus Operandi
Metalheadz - Platinum Breakz
Squarepusher - hard normal daddy
dj dara - rinsimus maximus
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
voivod - nothing face
Miles Davis - 4+More (miles, george coleman, ron carter, herbie hancock,
tony williams, tony was only 18, and it just rips....)
suicidal tendancies - the art of rebellion   (good punk metal nostalgia
kick...)
Tom Rupolo  -  Loop 7   (tom is just a guy on the list who sent me a tape,
nice loungy trip-hop something, dripping with fender rhodes...)

anyway, comment freely....

kim