Re: Looping with a Band

Mark Kata <Mark@asisoftware.com> covered a common problem, but focused on
the drummer sticking to his guns as a problem.

I propose that, given the non-exact nature of most delay/loop processes we
all use, our resultant rhythm or pattern will usually drive what I call
"perochial types" crazy.  A "perochial type" is, for example, someone who
requires either sheet music or some tablature notation, (or other 'expert'
prognosis) in order to play at all.  I think this leads to the kind of
inflexible business Mark talks about with a variety of drummers.

One side effect of this kind of thing is that, when it comes to areas like
World Music, which is not "classical" music in the perochial sense,
generally repels people who require accessibility as an element of their
music, to say nothing of folks with no desire to expand their horizons.  I
don't know how many times jams Haven't Happened until people of this type,
most of which would prevent synergy from occurring by demanding to know
"what key" or "beat" "it's" in.

Personally, I *like* this natural method of cream-skimming.  It helps me
know who I can play with, and who I shouldn't; and leads to an overall
harmonious atmosphere for music-making.  Although I'll also admit that, to
paraphrase Count Basie, it keeps the outside world from "horning in on my
huzzle." :)

On a separate note I thought I'd announce the release of my first cassette,
entitled 'S', and available at my site below...

Stephen Goodman           * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios
EarthLight Productions     * Get the Loop Of The Week Free!