echoplex = instant cool

 Why does an Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro (16 Mb) equal instant cool, you
ask?

1. I've written a new rock song for my power-trio (other guys) plus
multi-instrumental writer/arranger guy (me) band.  Instead of just plugging
through the chords with them in pieces and arguing over a LOUUUUUUUD
drummer about where to make the changes, I can now record each drum pattern
into a separate loop of the EP.  I just play the drum kit (terribly) and
whack at the Record button with my left foot between hi-hat clutches, until
it's close to seamless.  Then, I use NextLoop with SwitchQuant to record
the structured song onto the multitrack by "tabbing" through each loop for
enough repetitions, then layer the crude instrumental parts on the tape.
Then, when teaching the song, it's CAKE...just give them my "rough" tape.
Echoplex is like a drum machine, but far easier to use and faster to get a
project recording done with (provided you have a drum set miced into a
soundboard with aux sends to the Echoplex...kind of a big prerequisite, I
guess.)  It's drum machine, Echoplex-style.

2. I was a class clown in middle school orchestra 12 years ago.  I used to
terrorize the teacher and disrupt class, mouth off, etc.  I finally paid
her back by giving an electric 'cello demonstration to the 7th/8th grade
string players (ages 10-13).  I do other volunteer teaching and I know what
a tough age group this is to impress.  The secret?  Echoplex.  I'm
serious...I just played some bullsh*t riff-off of Michael Hedges'
_Rickover's Dream_ with a guitar pick near the bridge of the 'cello, where
the transducer really catches a metallic glint.  Then turn the hall reverb
way up, thicken the flange, and Multiply some bowings on there.  I was able
to keep the room quiet (from talking) for about 10 minutes.  My old teacher
couldn't believe it.  Echoplex = instant cool.