RE: Looping with drums / editing loops

>       I'm not a drummer, nor do I play one on tv, but for recording ...
>I find I can get the groove to
>swing more if I start the loop with bass or piano, and layer the drums on
>top of that.  This lets me practice my drumming skills and jam a bit
>before
>committing the drums to the jamman.   The hardest thing about playing
>drums
>to me is keeping the timing steady, but with the jamman I only gotta be
>tight for a few bars and let it loop away.  I keep it real simple so I
>have
>room to embellish later as the loop progresses and builds.

That seams to be an essential way!
Ljubo, a really experienced LOOP delay looper tought me that years ago and
I want to try, too, rather with simple piezo percussion instruments.

>       Right now in my looping, I am very much feeling the need to take
>that
>next step, namely aquiring a method of storing and editing the loops into
>coherent form of sorts.

I am not shure whether this is what you are looking for:
I record the direct and the looped signal on 2 DAT tracks and then copy the
good parts to the computer and edit freely in DECK.
It allowes stacking of several soloparts that happened at different times
over different parts of the loop and rebuilding of the looped part, also by
using inicial not very loaded bits of the looping later in the piece to
"come back". - loads of possibilities that I did not really explore myself
yet...

Matthias